Monday 24 August 2015

The Student Becomes The Master


In a few weeks time my son will start studying GCSE photography. In two years time he will have more qualifications in photography than I will.

For this week's post I wanted to portray the student overtaking the master and what better way to do it then messing about in the spare room once again and pretending to be characters from Star Wars?

I really must stop taking pictures upstairs and start concentrating on decorating.

Not just yet though.



A sequence of 40 pictures taken with the Monochrom, played about with in Bridge and Silver Efex and then several hours applying glowing lightsabers to each shot using very simple Photoshop techniques. 


I've made a short video of this sequence but I am having difficulty attaching it to this blog post.
Please feel free to check it out over at YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcWyIFTQjH8



Influences:


Real Life:
A conversation with Paride, who suggested (after racking his brain about video                   production) that I should experiment and have some fun.

Converastions with Tom and Debbie about science fiction films and wanting to own lightsabers.

Being a child in the 70s, running around the playground with my mates acting out space battles and wishing our parents had been cool enough to call us Luke or Han

College trips to London and gravitating towards the MOMI (Museum of Moving Image)



Films:
George Lucas' Star Wars
Fritz Lang's Metropolis (I really need to watch this again soon)



Animators:
The Brothers Quay



Photographers:
Eadweard Muybridge




The Student Becomes The Master
Copyright: Clayton Bastiani




















No comments:

Post a Comment