Monday 25 January 2016

Facing the Mirror

I've used this project as an opportunity to try my hand the other side of the camera. Apart from problems relating to focus and composition there's also the issue of having to face what you look like. Although I'm working on my six pack with my new year's resolution to get fitter I know full well that I'm not classically handsome and I don't find it easy looking at pictures of myself in much the same way as I find it difficult hearing my voice on answer phones.

Last week I worked on a nude self portrait and sent it into a competition. I've submitted nudes before to various photography competitions, but that's fine, they're not me, I can look at and relate to the picture with a certain amount of distance as it's not my body on display. Now there's one of me - a middle aged, slightly over weight and out of shape man confronting himself and coming to accept his imperfections about to be considered in a competition. A frightening thought, though strangely liberating.

I feel it's good for me to attempt self portraits from time to time as it means I have to lower my guard a little and not take myself too seriously. Maybe, at this rate, you might even catch me on a dance floor and not giving two hoots about what people think of my dancing! Who knows?









No comments:

Post a Comment