Monday 11 January 2016

Chameleons and Corinthians

The news of David Bowie's death hangs heavy in the air today and I find myself in a rather solemn mood.

I discovered Bowie's music in my teens and instantly felt a connection with his music, the likes of which I don't think I have felt since. A true artist. Listening to his music from the early work to the latest you get a sense of a man who could adopt a character and style and give it his all, creating amazing work and when you thought that would be it, no more, he would re-invent himself and come back to you as a new character with new styles and creations, equally as brilliant as the last.

Rest well Bowie. You were a huge inspiration to myself and many others.



I never really knew where I belonged in the world of photography. I have this habit of approaching it from a sideways perspective. I'm conscious of the fact that this can make me a bit 'different' or appear strange and eclectic. Not a big fan of typecasting I'm happy to be pigeon holed for a brief time and then off I go again in a new direction with only the link to photography and photographic techniques remaining constant.

In an effort to find where I fit in I started looking for artists (of all disciplines) that helped me come to grips with this feeling that I was working in an environment to which maybe I didn't belong. When you start looking at the work of Man Ray or Duane Michals or Jerry Uelsmann you realise that you're not as alone as you initially thought. In fact you're in rather good company.

Much like Bowie, Ray, Michals et al it may be hard trying to find an individual approach in a world where it's hard to be original, but it's definitely worth the effort.

































 

No comments:

Post a Comment